Re: Question about memory for a Dell

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Michael Butash
Subject: Re: Question about memory for a Dell
Memory hasn't been as finicky in years than I found it 10-20 years or more
now, most seem fairly tolerant as long as you match up specs.

If using windoze, install cpu-z and just match the specs, speed,
unbuffered, ddr-class, etc. Likewise using dmidecode under linux, just
match spec what is there now. If using a mac, just pay whatever overpriced
ram apple wants to sell you because you or your sponsor can obviously
afford it. Probably a better way under mac, I'm sure google knows most
sticks are probably compatible there too realistically.

I do miss when there used to be the technology swap meets over in Mesa here
to find old/dated hardware for stuff like this, I think that all moved to
Craigslist, now Letgo and others, always ebay if nothing else. I always
buy used ram, particularly when talking the more pricey large ECC server
stuff, really haven't had complaints personally doing so. Last time I put
128gb in my desktop, I did so for around a grand from ebay getting old
server dimms from a retired cisco ucs box, same memory, which from dell
would have been some $8k of absurdity.

-mb

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 4:11 PM Jim via PLUG-discuss <