Re: OpenMediaVault Server

+ (text/html)
Author: Stephen Partington via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Stephen Partington
Subject: Re: OpenMediaVault Server
If you are looking to just store data and use it for file access, Raid 5
should be valid. I would Use raid10 in cases where the disk activity would
be database related or VM related. (Or just that much R/W IO where Raid 5
Parity calculations are killing you)

On Fri, Jan 1, 2021 at 5:06 AM Phil Waclawski via PLUG-discuss <
> wrote:

> I really need a way to backup and keep track of all the media files
> (photos, video etc) that I've created over the years.
> I've been looking at FreeNAS, OpenMediaVault and others.
>
> Any suggestions on drives? (thinking a RAID 10 of 4 8TB drives)?
> File Systems? (ext4 or ZFS or?)
>
> Any other advice would be appreciated. (hardware, software etc)
> Phil W
>
> --
> The Maricopa Community Colleges are now operating fully remotely. We hope
> you are safe and healthy during this time.
> My in person and hybrid classes are all meeting at the regular times via
> remote software. Lab and office hours as well. Please check Canvas for the
> details and links, or email me with further questions.

Stephen