Re: unusual file copy problem

+ (text/html)
Author: David Schwartz via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: David Schwartz
Subject: Re: unusual file copy problem
I found a viable solution with an FTP app for Macs called Forklift 3.

It lets you set up tabs for any number of sites and either drag-n-drop or copy/paste from one to another. It does the download and then the upload, and uses FXP if it’s enabled.

According to my ISP, FXP requires a port to be opened that continually listening for requests, and it’s presents a security risk from people who use port scanners to look for open ports to abuse.

It made me think how many features there are on servers today that are locked away unusable because nobody has bothered to put doors on them that let you open them temporarily and shut them automatically after some amount of time.

With so many places switching to 2FA, I think it’s time to start looking more closely at "timed resource access on request”. I’m getting fed up with all of the 2FA crap that only exists because of this historical belief that 100% of our resources need to be available 100% of the time. So we use 2FA and other things to keep the riff-raff out during the 99% of the time we’re not using these resources.

If we started putting doors on stuff that were only open long enough for us to do what we need, these hackers and scriptk kiddies would eventually go away. Especially if we can set them up on proxies on servers in front of our real servers so as to minimize the abuse these people impart on the servers they’re trying to get into.

-David Schwartz