Re: How to set up PATH ??

Author: Matt Graham via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Matt Graham
Subject: Re: How to set up PATH ??
On 2020-10-04 12:31, joe--- via PLUG-discuss wrote:
> Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
> How can I edit .profile so it will find all
> of my shell script utilities in /home/joe/path ??
>
> I tried adding the 4 "set PATH" lines shown below, but it does not
> work:
>
> # ~/.profile: executed by the command interpreter for login shells.
> # This file is not read by bash(1), if ~/.bash_profile or
> ~/.bash_login
> # exists.

.profile is not read if .bash_profile exists. You probably have a
.bash_profile that looks something like this:

#This file is sourced by bash when you log in interactively.
[ -f ~/.bashrc ] && . ~/.bashrc

...so in .bashrc , you would want to have

export PATH=/home/joe/path:$PATH

as well as all the other things you normally put in .bashrc .

> Also, I cannot find where to add desktops (workspaces)
> in this version of linux.

Depends on the desktop environment. KDE, system settings->workspace
behavior->virtual desktops, make sure there are at least 2. Then
customize the task manager bar, and look for the "pager" widget and drag
it to where you want. GNOME, gno idea.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity