Re: USG / Century Link Fiber Set up

+ (text/html)
Author: Stephen Partington via PLUG-discuss
To: Michael Butash
CC: Stephen Partington, Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: USG / Century Link Fiber Set up
I am not seeing any performance degradation from ppoe vs not. I used this
same device with Cox Fiber gigablast and the speeds and rates are nearly
identical.

I chose the ERLite specifically for its ability to shove lots of packets.
And while that is not the true measure of performance it was a metric that
I am not regretting that I used.

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 8:14 AM Michael Butash <> wrote:

> Do you see any performance issues with having to use pppoe there with
> gigabit rates?
>
> I ask because some devices, even my home Fortigate unit tend to have
> performance issues because of pppd having to run in userland to shuffle
> packets then, and has been an issue in various vendor devices over time.
> My fortigate is large enough (100D) I don't see issues with my 150mbps
> bonded dsl here, but a buddy with one step down in a fortigate (90D) said
> he had to replace it on the same service. I'd imagine if I could get
> gigabit and use it, I'd need a new box.
>
> One thing I really liked about cable modems, is they figured out how to
> handle security outside your client, so no pppoe weirdness at the modem or
> firewall. I can't believe CL still forces that even on their fiber...
>
> -mb
>

> On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 10:33 PM Stephen Partington via PLUG-discuss <
> > wrote:
>
>> I am running this config right now. Specifically edgerouter lite.
>>
>> Left the ont unchanged. Carried over the vlan config and the PPPoE
>> config. Was freakishly simple and smooth.
>>
>> Let me know if you have any questions.
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 24, 2020, 10:19 PM Carlton Brooks via PLUG-discuss <
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone out in PLUG land have a Unifi USG gateway and Century Link
>>> fiber installed.
>>>
>>> There are many discussions on the google machine each person has a
>>> slightly different setting.
>>>
>>> I am an experienced amature, but usually muddle my way through things.
>>>
>>> If someone who has done this and can walk me through it I would be
>>> grateful.
>>>
>>> Mush appreciate
>>>
>>> Carlton Brooks

Stephen