Re: USG / Century Link Fiber Set up

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Michael Butash
Subject: Re: USG / Century Link Fiber Set up
Do you see any performance issues with having to use pppoe there with
gigabit rates?

I ask because some devices, even my home Fortigate unit tend to have
performance issues because of pppd having to run in userland to shuffle
packets then, and has been an issue in various vendor devices over time.
My fortigate is large enough (100D) I don't see issues with my 150mbps
bonded dsl here, but a buddy with one step down in a fortigate (90D) said
he had to replace it on the same service. I'd imagine if I could get
gigabit and use it, I'd need a new box.

One thing I really liked about cable modems, is they figured out how to
handle security outside your client, so no pppoe weirdness at the modem or
firewall. I can't believe CL still forces that even on their fiber...

-mb

On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 10:33 PM Stephen Partington via PLUG-discuss <