Re: is my power supply dieing?

Author: Donald Mac McCarthy via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list, Michael via PLUG-discuss
CC: Donald Mac McCarthy
New-Topics: Re: is my power supply dieing?(supplies)
Subject: Re: is my power supply dieing?
Some boards have 2 fans for CPU - especially boards designed for
overclocking. The face that you don't have any voltage/RPMs across the
fan3 may not be a problem.

The only way you are going to be sure to tell it is a power supply is
generally to replace it. You could replace CPU, memory, or board one at
a time, but those are generally more expensive than a PSU.

I have had many times that the PSU was the issue when running a compute
cluster years ago. In one case the PSW was not getting enough airflow
due to the positional design of the chassis vs the fan location of a
replacement CPU which had undergone a spec change, and therefore wouls
reach thermal protection shutdown. In another, a thermal expansion in a
PSU component when under load would cause a short, and the system would
shutoff. In another case - dirty output due to a power limiting
component that was failing cause all kinds of problems, eventually
causing us to have to replace RAM, CPU, MB, and a RAID card because of
"brown out" type situations. We were only to know what happened after
the manufacturer did some testing on the RMAed PSU. When you have 850
servers all built assembled from components (academic environment where
the Professor got more systems for his grant money by buying components
and using undergrad/graduate research assistants to assemble them), some
interesting things happen, may of them were power supply related.

Good luck, but I think you may save more in time and effort to just
replace it. I have a 400W ATX powersupply you can have if you want to
come get it. I am not sure how much wattage you need, but if 400 will
cut it - that one can be yours for the low low price of gas money.

Mac

--
Donald "Mac" McCarthy
Director, Field Operations