WordPress on Ubuntu 18.04 file ownership and permissions iss…

+ (text/html)
Author: Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: techlists
Subject: WordPress on Ubuntu 18.04 file ownership and permissions issue
I have a development server setup in my office and am trying to edit
remote (from another computer.)

Server is running stock Ubuntu 18.04 with a LAMP configuration.

I have an install of WordPress at /var/www/vhost/test/public_html

The user is bill.

Editor is Visual Studio Code. Connecting remote as user bill.

If I set ownership to www-data:bill (chown -R www-data:bill
/var/www/vhost/) WordPress can write to a file and Visual Studio Code
can NOT.

If I set ownership to bill:www-data (chown -R bill:www-data:
/var/www/vhost/) WordPress can NOT write to a file and Visual Studio
Code can.

Any help much appreciated!!