Re: Zoom Conferencing

+ (text/html)
Author: Harold Hartley via PLUG-discuss
To: Michael Butash via PLUG-discuss
CC: Harold Hartley
Subject: Re: Zoom Conferencing
I've always said I would never use zoom for security reasons.

But I read an article that a Chinese American was on zoom and wanted to
hold a candle vigil for those lost at tennamen square and ended up being
locked out of zoom.

The reason was is any user using zoom has to follow Chinese local laws
since zoom is owned by the Chinese. So any info used on zoom is
collected by the Chinese because its going through the great firewall in
China.

On 6/27/20 12:30 PM, Michael Butash via PLUG-discuss wrote:
> So, until a few months ago, I've been a fan of zoom, great linux
> support.  Well, good enough at least for full bi-directional sharing
> and remote control.
>
> With covid, their various faux pas in relation to security, etc, it's
> gotten rocky enough I am at the point I need to switch.
>
> Problem 1) I cannot log into my account.  I go to any web login for
> them, and it gives me a username, password prompt, ok - then a
> recaptcha.  But the recaptcha never shows up...  I simply cannot
> login, it tells me I didn't fill out the recaptcha.  But again I don't
> see a fscking recaptcha on the site despite how ever much scripting I
> let in.  It simply doesn't seem to work...  Insert aggro here.
>
> Curious if anyone else has seen this, as this is linux, windoze,
> android, or ios I've tested.
>
> Problem 2) I cannot log in to update my payment info to use it pretty
> soon.  I'm like a month over due with a cc expired, and I still cannot
> log in to update my payment info.  This began 2 months ago, and about
> every 2 weeks I get a support update to say that due to covid19,
> they're over worked with _no_other_response_ within 2 months.  Whoever
> runs their support org should be fired.  I tried to call a human with
> the weekend when I have some time, no weekend support, even for
> revenue generating events.  Hmm.
>
> I have other annoyances, but the fact that I can't even pay them if I
> wanted to is a disastrous mess that tells me I should run in another
> direction.
>
> Problem 3) Anything better folks have found lately?  I have cash in
> hand, I just need a not-crappy company.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> -mb

Harold Hartley