Re: Dm-crypt freezing computer?

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Michael Butash
Subject: Re: Dm-crypt freezing computer?
I've been using dm-crypt most of the 15 years I use linux, never seen it
just hang like that... Is this a spinner or SSD? I'm thinking physical
errors perhaps - have you looked at SMART data on the disk to check its
health? I'm thinking it's having a problem with a bad sector, but these
tend to manifest different ways between spinners and ssd.

If SSD, make sure your firmware is updated, as these drives seem to be
constantly updated for weirdness. Older SSD's would start getting wonky,
then just die one day, usually due to wear. Use of trim is useless with
encryption (and a security problem), so I always use Samsung SSD's that do
automatic wear-leveling, and haven't lost a ssd since or have had any
disk-based weirdness in general in a while.

-mb

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 2:51 PM Seabass via PLUG-discuss <