Re: Dm-crypt freezing computer?

Author: Matt Graham via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Matt Graham
Subject: Re: Dm-crypt freezing computer?
On 2020-06-25 14:44, Seabass via PLUG-discuss wrote:
> I am extracting from a large tar file, and at around the 2nd gig, my
> computer starts to slow and even freeze up a bit. Mouse always moves
> fine, but that’s about it.
>
> iotop reports dm-crypt is the only thing and is using 99% of my
> read/write. htop shows minimal processing being used and ram isn't
> full...
>
> So... can dm-crypt as full disk encryption slow the computer to
> almost freezing?

Potentially, but I've never seen this happen. My experience is with
just dm-crypt by itself on partitions on USB2 disks, no cryptsetup or
any of the friendly wrappers. Are you using dm-crypt by itself, or
LUKS, or something else entirely? Which CBC? Is LVM or RAID involved?
Seeing anything in dmesg about disk errors? Are you using ext34, or
something else?

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity