Re: Public DNS Servers

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Michael Butash
Subject: Re: Public DNS Servers
Agreed, there's a reason Cisco bought OpenDNS, it was a slick solution.
You could feed those dns servers to your kids devices, and it would filter
*bad* responses to error out, without any other sort of next-gen
firewall-ish features. Cisco was late to the game for this, as
Fortinet/PAN were doing this already, so it was easy to add DNS filtering
that way for them for their aging security platforms, just not sure how
that affected the consumer-level offerings.

I did notice a bit back that cloudflare offers
<https://blog.cloudflare.com/introducing-1-1-1-1-for-families/> different
ip feeds, to allow stricter feeds ala parental control, which is cool, as
it fills that void. Not used it, I use a fortigate for that stuff at home
with full url/dns filters. Something tells me they won't block crappy ad
sites still that my firewall lets me do.

What's not to like about https? Most things are moving toward tls1.3 which
vendors really cannot man in the middle attack well, as no commercial
vendor firewall really can today. Same with QUIC/HTTP3.0 protocols that
leverage udp primarily, and tcp as a downgrade, encrypted, but
hardware/software firewalls cannot decrypt, at least yet.

I setup an unbound server as a local dns cache at one point, so internally
ports would be udp/tcp/53, but tcp/443 https outbound to play with, seemed
to work ok, but usually just leverage my fortigate for that.

I actually did this when I was getting annoyed at cox intercepting dns
requests and redirecting me to their own park page/search crap. They would
actively redirectly my dns queries to their marketing/ad "search results"
any time I'd mistype something. They might say this is a security feature,
but really this is ISP's way to monetize your dns as an alternative revenue
stream sadly, which means they're logging, redirecting, and monetizing
every dns request you make, particularly to those government black boxes in
the back room no one talks about.

Think about that there's a reason to make your dns private.

-mb

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 8:14 AM Thomas Scott via PLUG-discuss <