Re: Public DNS Servers

+ (text/html)
Author: Thomas Scott via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Thomas Scott
Subject: Re: Public DNS Servers
Cisco does own OpenDNS/Umbrella, and it does have some more "premium"
features now. I still use OpenDNS - but day job uses Umbrella and I like
the default filtering available on some of their other servers
(208.67.222.123 / 208.67.220.123) as I'm not a fan of having adult websites
show up even by accident in my house.

That being said I've seen that CloudFlare now offers something similar on
1.1.1.3 and 1.0.0.3 but as you mentioned Michael, that uses DNS over HTTPS
(DOH!) and I haven't liked the idea of anything rogue being able to make a
request on my network without me being able to log it. If it's a DNS
request - I expect it to use 53/UDP like it was designed so that *I *can
decide whether it should be talking on my network or not. I'll play around
with it when I have more time to see what type of solution I can wrap
around it. I like the idea, and love privacy, but everything using https
just feels.... icky? on some level? Maybe it's just the Cox / Jeff Flake
visit still impacting my bias.

- Thomas Scott | <>

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 10:34 AM Michael Butash via PLUG-discuss <