Re: Ebay port scans your pc on every visit.

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash via PLUG-discuss
To: der.hans
CC: Michael Butash, Michael Butash via PLUG-discuss
Subject: Re: Ebay port scans your pc on every visit.
> Should we be insulted that they don't check for SSH?
>
> Ah, "According to Nullsweep, who first reported on the port scans, they do
> not occur when browsing the site with Linux."

Probably more flattered about ssh - they know they're not getting anything
out of a linux system anyways.

Interesting on the second comment - didn't catch that. Wonder why/how
windoze allows this, but linux does not? And what about the mac users?
Now I'm even more curious.

I feel a bit better knowing I'm protected since I don't use windoze for
anything but visio, but the other billion suckers still using windoze as a
main rig are screwed as usual.

> I use uMatrix to limit JavaScript. Most sites aren't allowed to run any.

I too use uBlock Origin, mostly for adware lists, but I use NoScript that
flat disallows sites unless whitelisted. It breaks all sorts of stuff
until whitelisted, but usually the ones that require me to whitelist more
than a few domains, I quickly close and forget about. It's pretty scary
going to big sites like various news outlets just how many domains their
javascripts are banging your browser with. I've seen upwards of 20-30
foreign domains all attempting to track/probe you at times - those I close
quick, blacklist them all, and thank the fact I have script blocking
enabled.

Trying to get others to use noscript or any sort of whitelist model is
tough, 99% of the time they don't want the inconvenience and end up turning
it off. I usually stop taking tech support calls or listening to whining
after that when they're infected yet again.

-mb