Re: Ebay port scans your pc on every visit.

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Michael Butash
Subject: Re: Ebay port scans your pc on every visit.
This completely bypasses your internet firewall, and your system firewall.
Thus the concern.

Imagine someone installs a remote access toolkit (RAT, ala hackers), has
access to your system to connect/scan your local system, and really
anything else via fed users to request connections from. This is your
computer's trusted browser, no different from RAT/Malware originating
connections FROM 127.0.0.1 (local system) TO 127.0.0.1 (local system),
which 99.9% of times is allowed. Do you block outbound connections from
your own pc? Do you not trust your local system to make connections to
your local system? Not if you want normal activities to at all work.

Also possible (I think) if for example you worked at bank of america and
instead they were trying to connect to your internal-only CRM on
crm.internal.bankofamerica.com or other juicy bits either. Sounds like a
heck of an easy way to probe enterprises with even innocuous links sent to
employees to click on, they start probing the host browsing and your
internal network via your just visiting.

If this is banks and ebay doing this to users, imagine what shadier bits of
the internet are doing, like facebook, twitter, marketing companies, and
other axis of evil. Imagine what the downright nasty bits of the internet
are doing such as torrent/porn sites and other lawless bits.

I see it as something of an exploit of browser trust, but as said, not sure
anything you can do about it.

-mb

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 5:45 PM Harold Hartley via PLUG-discuss <