OT: How to make this simple html menu work?

Author: Joe Lowder via PLUG-discuss
To: plug-discuss
CC: Joe Lowder
Subject: OT: How to make this simple html menu work?
How can I get the simple html menu
(example code shown below) work to view mp4 videos
from a menu link on my local computer in the same
way that I can view jpg images (and when all the
same files are uploaded as at this link:

https://upquick.com/viewpix/

Below is the simple code example:

Click to view each image:<p>

But none of the examples below work on my computer. Why?
<li><a href="vlc splash.mp4">On the command line this works: vlc
splash.mp4 </a>
What would be the simplest code to be able to<br>
just click on a menu link to view an mp4 video?