Re: New Router Purchase

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: New Router Purchase
I really don't find routers "go bad" as they outlive their usefulness.
Most people find their routers can't handle their usage when providers
offer 100mbps+ connections, but sometimes something is simply abusing your
network, and your router isn't good at showing it to you.

Coming from the enterprise space, when something stops working, I see what
is wrong, as something is always wrong if it's broken. In a consumer
router, what is usually the matter is something creating too many sessions,
or simply exceeding bandwidth capabilities. Ahem, Bittorrent, or some
other uncontrolled vermin. Some people it's 5 people watching netflix at
the same time, or heavy gaming.

I can usually feel when my network is broken at home, and almost always
find a reason for it. Only time I upgrade is when I want to test a new
piece of kit I got from ebay.

I've run cisco asa, netgear/dd-wrt routers, fortigate firewall currently,
considering getting a palo alto. My netgear flashed with dd-wrt was great
for years, a R710 nighthawk, and only reason I upgraded to my fortigate was
just to dogfood features for customers of mine using fortigate. I got
lucky buying a fortigate on ebay, 2 years later some large defense
contractor company keeps paying for my enterprise support on the unit for
full filter and threat feeds on it, so at least my tax dollars go for
something good finally.

-mb