OT: 4G/LTE question

+ (text/html)
Author: David Schwartz
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: OT: 4G/LTE question
Trying to figure something out … maybe folks here know something or can point me to a better place to ask.

A friend came by my house and ran Speettest and another app on his Apple iPhone 8+ and got 250M + on the DL and 100M+ on the UL with AT&T service.

I got an AT&T router / hotspot that has a 4G/LTE modem and dual-band WiFi router in it. (ZTE MF279)

I set up a data account with AT&T and it’s working fine.

But Speedtest only shows 30M DL and 15M UL (with Multi-connection even!)

Moving it around my house, the 4G signal varies from -90dBm (pretty bad) to -77dBm (so-so) and yet the DL and UL speeds remain unchanged, suggesting it’s not the signal strength that’s the reason behind my slower performance.

Also, I don’t know if it matters, but Speedtest on his iPhone shows that the connection terminates at an IP that’s in the Phoenix area, while mine terminates in the LA area, same as T-Mobile’s does.

So while both data devices are connecting to the same carrier, they seem to be connecting to different circuits.

Any ideas what might be the source of the disparity between these two data speeds on the apparently same service?

-David Schwartz