Re: Automatic Backup Solution

Author: Steve Litt
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Automatic Backup Solution
On Fri, 25 Oct 2019 01:34:58 +0000
Seabass <> wrote:

> [...]
> >> On Oct 24, 2019, at 10:37 AM, Seabass <> wrote:
> >>

> >> I have a Nextcloud server I want to backup, and the drives it
> >> would backup to I plug in through USB. We also want to encrypt the
> >> drives and we do that with Veracrypt, because the others know how
> >> to use it and it works on windows, as well.
> >>
> >> I know how to do backups manually, but does anyone have any
> >> suggestions that would let me (as an example) plug it in and
> >> automatically backup or backup overnight without me needing to
> >> interact?
> >>
> >> A different system works for a suggestion, as this is just what we
> >> currently have.
> >>
> >> TLDR: Any suggestions for encrypted backups of data on a Linux
> >> server that would be accessible to windows users, when backups are
> >> connected through USB

> We are attempting to keep it free, so the cloud solution doesn’t work
> for us. We have multiple hard drives, so having enough isn’t a worry.

Sounds like a job for an rsync solution to me. I actually have a
dedicated backup server that rsyncs my Linux Desktop's data over to the
backup server. My setup has the benefit of keeping intermediate backups
without the data replication of two dates having the exact same file. I
use hardlinks to do this:

http://troubleshooters.com/lpm/200609/200609.htm

You could also rsync locally to a USB connected hard
drive.

Either way, just kick it off at night with a cron script.

I've only worked with LUKS so can't comment on Veracrypt.

Steve Litt
Author: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key