Ethernet suggestions

+ (text/html)
Author: kelly stephenson
To: PLUG
Subject: Ethernet suggestions
Looking for some networking advice from the group.

The system I have has several devices connected in a ring configuration
using one Ethernet port IN and one Ethernet port out. The system uses RSTP
for loop free operation. The idea is simplicity for installation, you just
unplug and plugin a new device in the ring plus you gain redundancy, if one
Ethernet cable breaks you still have another one. This works but my client
has never had more then a half dozen devices on the network yet.
When I say devices just imagine very large machines. The number of devices
could be as many as 100 in the ring or network. Everything I've
researched on RSTP says over 8 devices and its not effective/efficient so
I'm researching other Ethernet failover/failsafe/redundant solutions.
So, the local network configuration needs to scale up to 100 devices, have
redundancy, and low latency for M2M control. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Kelly