Re: computer reboots on its own

Author: Matthew Crews
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: computer reboots on its own
On 9/28/19 5:30 AM, Michael wrote:
> my computer is just rebooting on its own. I'm thinking the problem is
> the power supply. does that sound correct?

It could be hardware failure, but some investigation is needed. The
power supply is one component, but any other component in your computer
could be causing it.

Before we can troubleshoot, we need more information:

Does it reboot while sitting idle?

Does it reboot due to software? IE do you have your system set to
automatically reboot?

Does it reboot while you are using it? Are you using very intensive
applications on it, or very not-intensive applications? If you are using
intensive applications, your machine could be overheating. Which leads
to my next question.

Are your computer fans working? There are several to look at. If you are
using a tower, you usually have an in-take fan, a graphics card fan (if
you are using a graphics card), your CPU fan, and your power supply
fans. Every one of these fans need to work. Laptops usually only have
one or two fans, a CPU fan and (sometimes) an intake fan.

Does it reboot when you suspend your computer? Does it reboot when you
are coming out of suspend or hibernation?

-Matt