Re: ransomware?

Author: PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: ransomware?
<Scroll>

On 2019-08-27 06:18, Aaron Jones wrote:

> This is a super subjective issue.
>
> So Linux is a great OS but if you are here you probably know that. Here
> are my recommendations.
>
> 1. If you need to use Windows, then install https://www.sandboxie.com/
> and learn how to use it. Sandbox your email client, your web browser,
> and anything that can move files from the internet to your computer.
>
> 2. If you are using Linux, then install and use Firejail and apparmor
> if possible. Learn how that works and deploy it. Manjaro users will
> require a custom kernel but if you are an Ubuntu user you can use
> AppArmor out the box.
>
> 3. What delivery method are you afraid of? Javascript exploits? PDF
> files? Putting weird devices into your ports?
>
> You cannot mitigate the danger of ransomware until you understand your
> security footprint and where you are most likely to be vulnerable. You
> may be a business owner who deals with pdf invoices all day. That is a
> major vulnerability and you may want to run `firejail mupdf` to deal
> with those files.
>
> Also some malware is designed to check if it is in a VM and not run in
> the hopes you will move it out of the VM. Using a VM is a tool but not
> a catch all resolution to the problem of running bad code.
>
> What are you doing that could introduce bad code into your system?
> Browsing websites? Sharing files over email? Using the computer for
> business where you might be forced to plug a thumb drive in? Each of
> these issues require specific steps to inoculate against danger.
>
> Why not work towards eliminating the biggest virus of them all and get
> rid of your reliance on Windows?

I thought I might respond to your get rid of windows. Tried that and
had to go back to Windows. I have two issues with Linux as a
workstation O/S. One dealing with scanners and printers. Not as easy
as I would like. Windows is plug and play when it comes to printers and
scanners. The other issue I ran into that was a deal breaker was
needing to use screen share software like go to meetings. 3 or 4 years
ago the Linux support was not there, and I did not get to choose the
screen share software. I work remote and need to do lots of screen
sharing with others who are remote.

I ran Linux on my desktop twice and would like to return. In 2000 I ran
Linux on my desktop for 8 months and then returned to Windows. Again
around 2010 I ran Linux on my Desktop for 4 or 5 years. I returned to
Windows only because of my team's requirement to do screen sharing.

At this point I am running some software that is not available on Linux.

As a PHP programmer I would rather run Linux exclusively because it
would make my life much easier....