Re: ransomware?

+ (text/html)
Author: David Schwartz
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: ransomware?
Also curious about something in this respect:

What if you took a standard Windows 10 desktop from Dell or HP or wherever, sucked the Windows out of it and put it into a VM (eg., VirtualBox), then replaced the base install with a stripped-down Linux core with enough there to run VirtualBox.

How secure would that be against ransomeware?

I’m thinking that if something infected the Windows VM, you could simply delete it and restore from a recent backup.

They might siphon off some of your data, but you wouldn’t be locked-out or lose it for lack of backups.

I don’t know how long those viruses might sit around dormant, but it might help to install Malwarebytes or something to scan for them anyway.

I also don’t know how “spidery” the ransomeware code is in so far as it could worm its way into your DB server or otherwise corrupt your data there.

Thoughts?

-David Schwartz