Re: pfSense and Netgate: was New Nginx documentation for beg…

+ (text/html)
Author: Eric Oyen
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: pfSense and Netgate: was New Nginx documentation for beginners
Well,
Given the problems now being made apparent at F5/Netgate, it’s time to jump ship and start using OpenBSD and the PF firewall system. Btw, I have been using OpenBSD for a better part of 15 years and so far, my home lan has been well protected (except by the stupidity of the other appliance users here in the house). As for my own systems, I am on a separate subnet from the others and have made damned sure that my systems are malware free and fully firewall.

Btw, I have used Linux OS boxes before as firewalls with some success (and a small bit of trouble too). The last Linux OS box I used got rooted about 2 months into it’s being strictly a firewall. I set that box aside for later analysis and went back to using the OpenBSD unit as the primary firewall.

Since you are already familiar with PF Sense, it just makes sense to return to OpenBSD for fireballing your systems.

I am thinking I need a serious upgrade in equipment soon. The old machine I am using for the firewall is about 12 years old and is getting long in the tooth. It’s performance isn’t exactly up to snuff when compared to more modern dedicated router hardware. These days, I am looking at the possibility of using a core i7 machine with 4 cores (don’t need any more than that), sufficient memory (about 4 GB) and a number of better quality Lan Cards and at least 3 Wi-Fi cards (with removable antennas) Between the cost of the machine and additional hardware, it’s almost as expensive as one of the top quality Cisco units, but with more capabilities.

Last item on my agenda here at the house other than upgrading the old openbsd machine for a new one, upgrading the lan cable to cat 6+ and then trying to get power over ethernet setup as well.

In any case, I have a lot of work I am planning and might need some help sourcing equipment at the cheapest possible cost (my budget is very slim these days.)

-Eric
From the Central Offices of the Technomage Guild, Infrastructure support and development Dept.