Privacy on Public WiFi

+ (text/html)
Author: trent shipley
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Privacy on Public WiFi
A while ago I was at the downtown Scottsdale public library with my
computer. They had open, public WiFi--which I was NOT going to use. I
tried to use my mobile phone data, but the reception inside the building
was Terrible!

It seems like the problem of insecure public WiFi should be surmountable.

How hard would it be do develop technology that puts a key on a $1 or $2
USB, that you buy (put a deposit on) at the reception desk (or from a
machine). You also get an FOSS app. The app takes the key on the cheap
USB and securely logs you into the library's (or Starbucks) public WiFi.
The library determines how long the key(s) on the USB is (are) good for.

When you're done. You turn the little USB in for your deposit. The
library wipes the usb clean, puts another key on the usb, and vends it
again.

1) Does this exist at "trivial" cost to the WiFi user?
2) If not, how feasible is it?
3) If it does not exist, and is feasible, who would be interested in this
as a project with a goal of a demo install at a local library, non-profit
coffee house, etc. and RFC?

Trent