Re: start plop from grub

+ (text/html)
Author: Todd Cole
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: start plop from grub
there may be a way I can check tonight normally I burn Plop to a cd boot
the cd and the plop menu will offer up usb options to install
I also suspect your bios can boot to usb directly but usb options will only
be shown if the usb is plugged in and and sometimes shows up as a harddrive
not a usb
also check as usb devices are often disabled by bios as a boot option by
default sometimes are well hidden in menus and hard to find

On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 2:33 PM Jim <> wrote:

> My system normally boots from /dev/sdd1. I've installed Plop to
> /dev/sda1. If I switch on the machine and press F12 to select a boot
> device, then pick /dev/sda1, Plop loads. When I installed Plop, I
> chose the MBR of /dev/sda1.
>

> Is there a way to put a menu entry in Grub2 that would tell the system
> to boot from /dev/sda1?
>

> I did manage to create a menu entry in /etc/grub.d/40_custom that lets
> me load plop, but when I do, it gives me a warning that I can't save
> changes. Is there a way to fix it so I can save changes? Here is my
> 40_custom file.
>

> #!/bin/sh
> exec tail -n +3 $0
> # This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries. Simply type
> the
> # menu entries you want to add after this comment. Be careful not to
> change
> # the 'exec tail' line above.
>

> menuentry "Plop bootloader" {
> insmod ext2
>          set root='hd3,msdos1'
>          if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
>            search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root
> --hint-bios=hd3,msdos1 --hint-efi=hd3,msdos1
> --hint-baremetal=ahci3,msdos1 15d4e39e-2e6c-4ee4-9a24-67fd9ccab8f9
>          else
>            search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root
> 15d4e39e-2e6c-4ee4-9a24-67fd9ccab8f9
>          fi
>          linux   /boot/vmlinuz-4.15.0-47-generic
> root=UUID=15d4e39e-2e6c-4ee4-9a24-67fd9ccab8f9
>          linux16 /boot/plpbt.bin
> }

> thanks

Todd Cole