[Google] Fiber dream ends, what next?

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash
To: PLUG Phoenix List
Subject: [Google] Fiber dream ends, what next?
https://www.engadget.com/2019/02/07/google-fiber-louisville-shutting-down/

Google Fiber has been dying on the vine a bit now, but typical google,
anything that has problems they just whack anymore. Are you glad or sad
they didn't come here, more than the 2 people that actually it in some
foreign territory? Better to have never loved than loved and lost?

Better or worse, that few years Google was pushing Fiber, they got Cox
scrambling to at least pretend to push more fiber/gigabit technologies,
until they smelled blood and decided google wasn't worth continued effort
to defend against, going back to coax and much more status quo.

Centurylink has to move off 2-wire tech as their only option for evolution
in anything new beyond 150mps speeds, but don't expect them to ever
retrofit old properties (me, probably you too) soon. Not sure what they
will do with old dsl like my area, but give up and not offer better
service. They can only bond 2x 70mps channels on old 2wire tech, cox can
push gig today if they wanted to.

If you don't have fiber now, you'll never have it likely with either
provider any time soon. Cox Coax can evolve/compete with fiber, CL DSL not
so much.

-mb