Re: sleep and rsync

+ (text/html)
Author: Bob Elzer
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: sleep and rsync
there are two different things.

screen saver and power management.

power management will put the computer in suspend mode which will copy
memory to a buffer then put the system into a very low power mode waiting
to be woke up after wich it will copy the buffer back to memory and resume
where it left off.

screen savers can display nice graphics but they can also turn off the
monitor.

if a screen saver turns off the monitor, the computer continues to run and
perform all its functions.

if you move the mouse or type something and the monitor responds with a
password right away, then it is the screen saver turning off the monitor.

if it takes a little while and the disks are flashing and making noise that
would be the computer waking up from suspend mode.

hope this helps