Re: android question

Author: Matt Graham
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: android question
> On Mon, Dec 31, 2018, 10:42 AM Jim < wrote:
>> My current phone is from cricket. I don't like their idea of
>> blocking a feature the manufacturer built into the phone
>> (sharing the internet connection) and charging to restore it.

But if they just let you use the phone's full features, how are they
going to make any money?

On 2018-12-31 11:57, Bob Elzer wrote:
> the other unlocking involves unlocking the bootloader which
> lets you replace the roms or root your phone. most manufacturers
> don't want you doing this because it makes your phone unsecure.

Security has nothing to do with it. They don't want you to replace the
ROM because the stock one comes with a bunch of useless garbage like
Samsung Pay, Samsung Internet, and Samsung Cloud Backup that they want
you to use. If you use those things, they get user data and potentially
money out of you. See previous message about "pm uninstall" for a way
to deal with the garbage.

> You want to root your phone and run some other app that will let you
> run a mobile hotspot app that hopefully your carrier won't be able to
> detect it. You should google your phone and carrier to see if anyone
> has accomplished this before you spend the money.
> These things don't always work.

Yes, this. Every "root phone N" page I've seen looks insanely sketchy.
It must be possible to do for at least some phones.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity