Re: CentOS 6/7

Author: Brian Cluff
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: CentOS 6/7
On 12/4/18 1:50 PM, Snyder, Alexander J wrote:
> How does the predictable naming conventions work in VMs? I see they
> always differ slightly.

I don't have much experience with VMs and the new naming convention, but
I would guess that it would name them based on the virtual bus that the
system creates for the VM and would appear very similar to the native
system.
> Are we not using a pool of expected syntax like 1/2/3 ??? Or is it
> built on things like mb.vendor, # nics, and other arbitrary things
> like that?

I forgot to include what the system uses for the actual names, but I
added to a reply to my own message... you've probably seen it by now,
but yes it's based on PCI slot, usb port ext.  It even takes into
account when it's a single card with multiple network devices on board.
> I've been reconfiguring servers that were vMotioned from one DC to
> another ... the nic names are ALWAYS *slightly* different.

That's probably because the ethernet devices are hanging off slightly
different slots on the motherboards.
> Im not sure why the way you access single user mode had to change.

I'm not either.  Seems like they should have added something that would
catch the word single and remap it to it's systemd equivalent.  Typing
single, while a fairly popular way of getting into single user mode,
wasn't a universal way to get there on every system.  While
"systemd.unit=rescue" will work on any systemd system and the
init=/bin/bash will work on everything and always has, but only starts
the system with just bash running leaving you to do everything else by
hand.  The rescue mode would be better if you want networking and stuff
like that to just work.

Brian Cluff