Re: To swap or not to swap ;-) (was RE: To lvm or not to lvm…

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash
To: PLUG Phoenix List
Subject: Re: To swap or not to swap ;-) (was RE: To lvm or not to lvm)
I've run without swap while having 32gb of ram prior, and found things
would just be weirdly lagging at times without it. Adding a swap partition
removed that, never really found out why. Now I just always add a small
swap slice (usually 3-4gb) even if setting swappiness to minimum.

I never do suspend/hibernate or anything to swap, as I often have big
enough ram that it chewing into ssd space for it wasn't an option. I just
sleep the laptops, and my desktops are never really powered down to bother
either.

-mb