Re: OT: Cell Phone Advice

+ (text/html)
Author: Stephen Partington
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: OT: Cell Phone Advice
I have done lots of Roms in the past, they are pretty basic to sort out
with reading and some basic concepts of Linux and the funny partitioning
that android relies on. but just a quick look you can get up to about
android 7 or so with LineageOS (fork of Cyanogenmod before they went off
the deep end.

https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/t0lte This has info about the Note2 and
LineageOS. Super simple to set up. especially on older devices that have
been hugely documented. (install steps here
https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/t0lte/install)

Personally I am using the OnePlus3 the OxygenOS CE that they are running is
i think my favorite stock experience EVER. Add a little root, and
Substratum and the device does everything I want. even for a 2 year old
device. the only reason I want the OnePlus6 is for the new spectrum on the
radio. The 3 is still a really decent device. You can find them around for
about 200 to 300 still. Also you can look into the Essential phone. Also
really good in concept, but I am not sure how well it is doing as it went
on sale for prime day and dropped over 50% off MSRP.

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 8:40 PM Victor Odhner <> wrote:

> My Samsung Galaxy Note II has been left behind.
>   * Samsung/T-Mobile offer no updates, I’m stuck at 4.2.
>   * T-Mobile has increased coverage,
>         but my phone doesn’t reach their new channels.
>   * The new thermostat I’m working with requires 4.5,
>         so I have to use my wife’s to control it.
>   * The new version of weatherunderground.com
>         doesn’t work on what I’ve got, and it’s got
>         all the local amateur weather stations.

> I think 5-1/2 years is pretty good for a phone, but it burns me being
> abandoned like that.
>
> Before I cave in and buy a new phone, since I’m letting go of this phone
> as it is, . . .
> . . . is it time to root it, and install a new ROM that knows the Brave
> New World?
>
> I see these:
>
>     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEkN919cHpk

>     https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note-2/general/4-5-6a-t3269950

> Is this a possible solution for me?
> … and if I did do this, could I later convert it to operate as just a WIFI
> device as I moved on with a new phone?
>
> There is no way I’d take on this job myself, with all that talent out in
> LinuxLand.
> I *would* trust (and pay) a consultant who has done this kind of thing
> repeatedly, without recent bricking events.
>
> Please advise . . .
>
> Thanks,
> Victor Odhner

Stephen