Re: NVMe: was Building a Linux Computer?

+ (text/html)
Author: Stephen Partington
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: NVMe: was Building a Linux Computer?
there are a few ways to get an NVMe drive in your system. M.2 PCIe based
drive. you can also buy a PCIe card to mount one as well as a PCIe card
that is integrated. There is also a U.2 which was aimed more towards Server
architecture.

a x1 slot has a single direction BW of 2.5 Gbps/200MBps and x4 slot can
move 1 Gbps/800MBps

so most NVMe based m.2 drives are wired to 2 or 4 lanes. In your case a 4x
PCIe slot would be a great deal of performance even over the normal SATA
bandwidth.

the PCIe cards do have a fair amount of cost added to them.

On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 2:30 PM, Steve Litt <>
wrote:

> On Tue, 22 May 2018 13:57:29 -0700
> Brian Cluff <> wrote:
>
> > For me, I would get a system that can use a NVMe. They are about the
> > same price as an SSD, but make and SSD look extremely slow.
>
> This is the first I've heard of NVMe. I just read
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NVM_Express , and now have some questions:
>
> 1) Can I replace the spinning platter 2.5" hard disk in my 5 year old
>    laptop with an NVMe device? My research tells me an NVMe must plug
>    into a PCIe slot rather than a SATA slot.

> 2) Do you fstrim NVMe-hosted partitions the same way you do for SSD?
>
> 3) When you install an NVMe card in a PCIe slot, what device name shows
>    up? Is it sd-whatever, or something else?

> 4) If my desktop has a free PCIe slot, does that mean I can plug in an
>    NVIe drive and use it?

> Thanks,
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt
> June 2018 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/28

Stephen