NVMe: was Building a Linux Computer?

Author: Steve Litt
To: plug-discuss
Subject: NVMe: was Building a Linux Computer?
On Tue, 22 May 2018 13:57:29 -0700
Brian Cluff <> wrote:

> For me, I would get a system that can use a NVMe.  They are about the
> same price as an SSD, but make and SSD look extremely slow.

This is the first I've heard of NVMe. I just read
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NVM_Express , and now have some questions:

1) Can I replace the spinning platter 2.5" hard disk in my 5 year old
laptop with an NVMe device? My research tells me an NVMe must plug
into a PCIe slot rather than a SATA slot.

2) Do you fstrim NVMe-hosted partitions the same way you do for SSD?

3) When you install an NVMe card in a PCIe slot, what device name shows
up? Is it sd-whatever, or something else?

4) If my desktop has a free PCIe slot, does that mean I can plug in an
NVIe drive and use it?

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2018 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
http://www.troubleshooters.com/28