Re: How to disable UEFI ??

Author: Eric Oyen
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: How to disable UEFI ??
oh yes.
then there are the more specialized distro's for specific purposes (including serving the blind). Sure, Ubuntu and Fedora are great, but sometimes overblown. I have 1 distro here (based on slack ware) that just won't function at all in a UEFI based system It won't run on this old mac nor will it boot on the windows laptop (even from a DVD or flash drive), yet on an older 10 year old desktop, it works great.

There are just some things to be said about having a BIOS that just works and doesn't need a partition on the HDD just to load secondary code.

and oh yes, did I also mention that without sighted assistance, I cannot even install a new blank HDD on a modern system? The reason, I need to issue a couple of commands inside the UEFI to properly prepare the disk for use. UGH! And yes, the UEFI consortium is still only responding with "form letter responses" on my inquiries about adding braille/speech support. And yes, if this sounds like a rant, it is, and I have good reason for it.

-eric