Re: VPN Assistance

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: VPN Assistance

Well, I think we're talking about two
      different kinds of vpn:

      1) VPN for Remote Access.  Connecting to home, work, or some other
      form of remote access to a given network.  I don't think that's
      what we're discussing here, but if desired, openvpn as a server
      would be just fine.  I do that here on my wrt router for remote
      access to my network, and use zerotier as a SDN solution for
      networking between given hosts on any network as another more
      convenient alternative.

      2) VPN for Hiding Yourself.  This is what I think we're mostly
      talking here, which is using a VPN client to connect to a remote
      network, using recommended services like PIA for making yourself
      appear to be leaving another country to keep scavenger laywers at
      bay.  This uses usually either a Socks/HTTP Proxy connection, or a
      full openvpn-based connection.

      If you or anyone you know likes to bittorrent pretty much anything
      anymore, do yourself a favor and use a (#2) VPN.  If you just want
      to remotely access your home/work resources, #1 is what you want.

      -mb