Re: Holy desktops!!! Bumblebee and Optimus are now working

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Holy desktops!!! Bumblebee and Optimus are now working

I bet you do - kde has some real
      bastard issues with multi-monitor I've been finding.

      If you're on 14.04, you're mostly hozed - they didn't fix kde
      remembering display setups until plasma 5.x.  This alone drove me
      into the 16.04 adventure with plasma 5.

      I was actually just digging through their bugs when I saw this,
      there are a ton of issues with current releases in ubuntu and
      everything really, plasma 5.5 to current 5.7.1 all seem affected.

      Now with 16.04 and plasma 5.5 on here, it remembers where my
      monitors go, but about everything else is broken.  Someone decided
      to remove a particular null monitor feature in kde that destroys
      it's ability cope with displays disappearing as things toggle
      around with xrandr functions, causing kwin, plasma, and about
      every other aspect of kde to freak out.  Now they seem to be
      trying to put it back, but so far everyone is still broken in
      5.7.1.

      Sadly most of these issues relate I found in the kde trackers
      around these issues are a year or more old, and they don't seem
      great about actually fixing old/persistent problems.  Seems they
      just keep making new features without fixing the old ones, like
      monitor placement in plasma 4.

      Easy for them to say "just upgrade to 5", but not when it requires
      a distro release upgrade, and then finding it is even more broken
      is slightly infuriating.

      -mb