Re: Cox Business Internet

Author: Keith Smith
To: nathan
CC: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Cox Business Internet

I had consumer Cox for maybe 8 years. I would occasionally experience
some downtime. I moved to Cox Business maybe 4 years ago. Less down
time. I work out of my house so the network did not changes, or maybe
the immediate network did not change. I am able to run a server, which
I do not... but did for a short time... Long Story....

Speed is ok. Occasionally things will slow. Who knows why?

I cannot tell you if there is any downtime in the middle of the night.

Maybe I'll move back to consumer.

On 2016-07-03 18:50, Nathan England wrote:

> What got me even considering this is that at my house, with 150mb
> service and a few devices streaming and playing games my general
> download speeds and browsing speeds become noticeably bad despite my
> speedtests continuously showing awesome speeds.
>
> But at my office, with 50 or so other people using the same Cox
> dedicated business account with 100mb speeds, it is consistently faster
> than my house. And at the office most people are streaming music and or
> netflix while surfing the web, despite all of that traffic speedtests
> and general surfing speed is noticeably faster.
>
> My assumption was the dedicated 100mb vs my shared 150mb and I thought
> maybe a dedicated 25mb would be cool, plus a bonus of ports I want.
>
> But you are saying there is not difference in the network makes me
> really suspicious. What else could be different?
>

> On 2016-07-03 12:32, Michael Butash wrote:
>> Residential and Business *are* the same infrastructure when it comes
>> to Cox HFC. The only thing that differentiates a business customer
>> from residential is the boot file pushed to the modem at boot, the
>> speed set up/down, and ip/port access list allowed through. Of course
>> your bill too, nice little racket they have going to sell perceived
>> value as *business* service is somehow really better...
>>
>> I wouldn't plan on google coming to you unless you're moving to some
>> swank new subburb of ticky tacky little boxes, but cox can provide
>> enough bandwidth over hfc you shouldn't care. Thus why they reclaimed
>> more of their OTA (over coax rather) spectrum of free/unencrypted
>> channels so they can resell it for data services bonding up to 32
>> channels @ ~42mbit ea or 1.4gbit max.
>>
>> Best thing about fiber is that glass (in theory) is less prone to
>> dysfunction than copper @ 140 degree surface ground temps. Less
>> having to have the provider re-terminate your copper every few years
>> here...
>>
>> -mb
>>

>> On 07/02/2016 01:52 PM, Todd Cole wrote:
>>> I stuck with Residential for the speed, down time seems to be the
>>> same as business accounts tho business do get 24/7 service calls and
>>> support. a little port work and dns hop was easy to do. And I do
>>> prefer Cox vs CL but
>>> Google could be the future---maybe
>>> Todd

> - --