Re: Ubuntu

Author: Tom Roche
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Ubuntu

Dennis McClellan[1]
>> My problem with [Unity][2] is the frozen gray screen. It doesn't matter what program or website I'm on, I get the gray frozen screen, not always, but often.

Have you tried booting the troublesome device from Ubuntu on live media (e.g., LiveUSB)? That would help determine whether your device is having problems with a stock Ubuntu or with something else on your specific configuration. FWIW, I don't buy anything computational anymore unless either (1) it has a no-questions-asked money-back guarantee (and I see reason to believe the vendor follows through), or (2) I've been able to {boot the box, test core functions} from my current distro of choice, which is currently Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE2)[3].

Keith Smith[4]
> Note that Mint is a derivative of Ubuntu

Umm ... that depends ...

1. ... on what you mean by "Mint." Mint the project (i.e., linuxmint.com) provides multiple editions[5], of which the two main ones are have different package bases, which are helpfully referred to as Debian-based (i.e., LMDE) and Ubuntu-based (aka "classic Mint"). Of course, the package base of Ubuntu is also Debian, but Canonical's PPA system[6] is a major addition.

2. ... on what you mean by "derivative." Clement Lefebvre (pause to bow in his general direction) and team are quite opinionated and more than willing to remove/substitute even major bits of Ubuntu, notably Unity[2].

HTH, Tom Roche <>

[1]: http://lists.phxlinux.org/lurker/message/20160618.171406.d7b0efb6.en.html
[2]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unity_(user_interface)
[3]: https://www.linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php