Re: Ubuntu

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Ubuntu

What GPU?  Check Compiz/CCSM as Ted
      mentioned, looking under general at the resolution, gl modes,
      vsync, etc is often related to compositing window managers.
      Multi-monitor always required manual tweaking to behave at all, if
      ever with compiz.

      I'd blame Compiz, it tends to be a basketcase for me behaving like
      you'd mentioned, which is generally gpu/rendering problems.
      Sometimes it's just bad at autodetecting its setup, most times it
      just doesn't play well with a gpu driver, vsync, gl features,
      etc.  I've found amd gpu's + unity just never work right,
      especially with propietary blob fglrx.

      Best bet is if you ran without compiz enabled (metacity --replace
      &), it'd work fine.  I did this for years as compiz just could
      never deal with my 6x display config, especially with gl games.
      KDE could with kwin, or I'd install cairo-desktop and disable
      compositing all together.

      I'll second KDE (kubuntu-desktop) here, it was generally far more
      stable, and in most cases I think is fine.  Newer version of
      Plasma and KWin are very slick.

      I did however have to stop using KDE recently as moving from 6x
      1080p monitors to 3x 4k tv's presents a situation that seems to
      aggravate the driver, hardware, as well as the desktop apps down
      to Qt itself.  Being TV's, they're not smart about things like
      DPMS, and turning them off at night is like unplugging them to the
      pc.  This causes all sorts of weird behavior I'm finding,
      plasma4.x u14.04+fglrx)couldn't remember which monitor was which
      to put things back properly when returning, and plasma 5.x
      (u16.04+ati/mesa) regressed with QT so still cannot deal with
      displays coming and going well to not simply freak out at times.
      Again, damn compositors.

      I tried Ubuntu desktop moving off KDE again.  I really do try to
      give it a chance to work, only it simply never does, especially
      with very large/abnormal resolutions.  This time it would load the
      background, and just never give the panel overlays.  Compiz
      freaked out like yours at start in some ugly way, couldn't even
      get a terminal in the wm to probe around or unbreak compiz.  I'd
      had to drop to tty and restart lightdm to get out of it.  Sigh,
      next...

      I'm using cinnamon now, less buggy, clutter compositing can handle
      it just fine even at 11520x2160, but monitors coming and going
      still occasionally cause one display to drop to 480x620
      resolution, which plasma would do too, but deal much worse with
      it.  These might be due to my DP-to-HDMI2.0 adapters to get
      4k@60hz, still tbd...  I do miss KDE features still with Cinnamon.

      Every WM loves to composite desktops these days, yet none deal
      with large resolutions well when taxing a gpu, or just buggy
      driver.  I'd prefer compositing be optional always, or make it
      suck less.

      -mb

      On 06/18/2016 10:14 AM, Dennis McClellan wrote:

        @page { margin: 0.79in }
        p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120% }

I have been
          using Linux for about 10 years now. Mostly Mint (latest 17.3),
          but I have tried almost every distro. I keep trying Ubuntu
          (latest 16.04).

I like Ubuntu
          although I’m still trying to get used to Unity. My problem
          with Ubuntu is the frozen gray screen. It doesn’t matter what
          program or website I’m on, I get the gray frozen screen, not
          always, but often. After a few seconds or sometimes minutes a
          message pops up and states “Ubuntu has a problem and needs to
          shut this program down. This had happened on 3 different
          desktop computers, so I know it’s not the CPU. Mint works and
          worked fine on all three. I guess just for general principle I
          would like to get a version of Ubuntu to work properly.

I check daily
          for any updates and do them immediately.

Any help would
          be greatly appreciated.

    --
        Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow.

        Pa Kettle