Re: To Tux or not to Tux (VM's)

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: To Tux or not to Tux (VM's)

For a while doing work for a vendor I
      offloaded a build image into a vm, and just used a virtualbox as a
      corporate image in windoze 7, complete with all the
      security/spyware installed, which actually would tax the
      underlying host some.  Using it with virtualbox, I'd just lower
      the execute cap on it some, and twice a day when their spyware
      would kick off and start scanning the host system, while killing
      the 2 cores I gave it, the host experienced no degradation what so
      ever.

      Great part is now I didn't need a physical "vendor laptop", I just
      cloned the image between my desktop and laptop, using them
      mutually exclusively one at a time.  Oddly windoze domain never
      seemed to.figure it out I was gaming it.

      I weened myself off windoze gaming long ago for needing native gpu
      access, so there's no reason at all it's can't simply live in VM
      I've found in the past 10 years, and too many reasons FOR doing
      keeping windoze virtual-only.

      As I said earlier, usually my biggest resource contention is ram.
      I find using linux as a desktop it's not uncommon to be using
      20-25gb of ram (chrome+chromium+firefox+libreoffice) after a few
      weeks of uptime with normal usage, so firing up a vm would
      occasionally oom and wreak havoc on things.  Make sure you have
      enough ram to cover linux AND windoze.

      -mb