Re: Upgrade old laptop with SSD

Author: Keith Smith
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Upgrade old laptop with SSD
Thanks Brian! Currently with Win7 installed it is using 40G. That is
without anything added. Windows sure has bloated. It probably will
just be a toy.... but like you said I might like it so much I may use it
more... I was looking at the 240G SSD. I also read the manufactures
usually reserve some space for bad sectors that are not included in the
capacity of the drive. Maybe I'll make it dual boot. I only have 4G of
RAM and do not want to spend any more on it.... so using VirtualBox
might not be an option... maybe...

On 2016-03-05 17:15, Brian Cluff wrote:
> On 02/29/2016 07:28 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
>> From what I understand, SSDs that are often-written wear out much
>> faster if they're more than 80% or 90% full. A good reason to go
>> larger rather than smaller.
>
> I was going to mention this as well in my reply but I guess I forgot.
>
> I always buy more than what I need as well. It's hard for the wear
> leveling to spread out writes to unused areas of the drive when the
> drive is near full.
>
> Brian Cluff

Keith Smith