Re: Upgrade old laptop with SSD

Author: Steve Litt
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Upgrade old laptop with SSD
On Mon, 29 Feb 2016 08:49:27 -0700
Keith Smith <> wrote:

> Initially I was thinking a small SSD since I will probably never use
> this laptop in production... But you never know. If these mods work
> out I might dual boot it - Win7 / Mint 17 KDE.
>
> Newegg is selling a 240G Kingston SSD for $65 which is probably way
> more storage than I would ever need.
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820721108

Right now 256GB (or 240) is the knee of the curve that gives you the
most GB per $. I think this will change to 512GB soon. Buying on the
knee, or just barely above it, is always a good idea.

From what I understand, SSDs that are often-written wear out much
faster if they're more than 80% or 90% full. A good reason to go larger
rather than smaller.

> What type of lifespan should I expect for an SSD with moderate usage?

Whatever you're expecting, your life will increase if you delete no
longer needed files (think browser cache and old, obsolete downloads).
About once a day, after deletions, run the fstrim command on the
filesystem(s) mounted on the ssd. This frees up more space, which
spreads writes over wider areas, which prevents small available places
from getting written over and over again.

SteveT

Steve Litt
February 2016 featured book: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key