Re: cheap ISP for low-bandwidth use?

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: cheap ISP for low-bandwidth use?

Having watched netflow data on how very
      large corp networks use data across sometimes hundreds of
      thousands of users, I have a pretty good idea what is possible,
      necessary, or abusive, but consumers use cases tend to be mostly
      around gaming or media (ala netflix) still imho.  As far as remote
      disk, I wouldn't trust putting my data external in most places
      that aren't under my control.  I begrudgingly and use limited
      today remote storage services out of necessity and lack of trust.

      While I'd rather someone else deal with the redundancy of my nas,
      having to keep spare disks around, etc, but a) they're all too
      expensive in the quantity I'd generally need and b) anything not
      mine is attainable with little effort by ours or other
      governments.  My problem is I have highly confidential data from
      half of phoenix's government and private sector enterprises I have
      to keep exactly that, and it's something I really don't like to
      trust to external services still, period.  I've known of accounts
      of the feds showing up to not so politely ask to *borrow* a raid
      drive of customer's data for a bit as a service provider.  At
      least if they beat down my door here, the subterfuge is already
      blown.

      Family pictures, even your mp3 collection, knock yourself out.

      Aside from remote rsync and/or synchronous replication scenarios
      if I did trust someone, the only other large bandwidth use-cases I
      find myself with these days is simply when I need something like a
      linux iso, the latest vmware esx|workstation torrent, a lazy
      weekend to torrent whatever is in theaters, or some sucker
      corporate data leak on pirate bay ala ashley madison for morbid
      curiosity.  My 40mbps plan was and still is mostly as much as I
      need for just myself.  Cox stealthily doubled bandwidth again for
      channel alocations, just because the tech allowed for it, but I
      left my shaper on my router the same.  I really don't need it,
      eventually I'll adjust my egress queues for it.

      Maybe I am turning into a luddite in my old age, and the though of
      gigabit to the home still excites me as a network dude from 9600
      baud to beyond, but I install 40/100gbe links now regularly so
      until I get that here, coax or anything else is just meh.  I'd
      rather pay half for the original bandwidth I received that was
      fine for my usage at the 20, then 40, now 80mpbs.

      What might force an upgrade to their *ultimate* package?  A second
      address for my other firewall, damn cox for not offering that ala
      carte.

      -mb