Re: systemd [NOT?] (was Re: Void Linux tips)

Author: Matt Graham
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: systemd [NOT?] (was Re: Void Linux tips)
>> On 10/22/2015 10:42 AM, wrote:
>>> Why are all the distros systemd(ing) disregarding the opposition?
>>> What am I missing... :(

Redhat wants systemd, and many smaller distros follow Redhat's lead.

On 2015-10-22 13:55, Bob Elzer wrote:
> Coming from centos 6 to 7, at first I was whoa, but after seeing how
> fast it booted I loved it.

Boot speed is a must-have for people? This is a bit strange to me.
How often do you reboot your machine? I only do that on my personal
machines for kernel upgrades or power failures. Everything else is
suspend-to-disk or suspend-to-RAM while the machine's not in use. For
the physical machines at work, POST takes a lot longer than SysV init,
so using systemd would not help very much.

GNOME3 having a hard dependency on systemd means that a lot of people
will pretty much have to install it. If any frequently-used thing
(MariaDB, postgres, nginx...) decides to use systemd for something,
that'll be another set of annoyances for people who don't want systemd.
At least openrc is still around, so people can write init scripts in
bash *and* have dependency tracking/parallel startup if they want....

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity