User interface for the blind: was (was Re: Void Linux tips)

Author: Steve Litt
To: plug-discuss
Subject: User interface for the blind: was (was Re: Void Linux tips)
On Thu, 22 Oct 2015 17:38:10 -0700
Eric Oyen <> wrote:

> As for
> learning new apps, try being blind guys. You have to relearn
> EVERYTHING at some point.

I never thought about it before, because corrected my visions about
20/50. But if one's completely blind, the user interfaces I've seen,
even when read by a screen reader, I'd imagine would be slow and
cumbersome.

It strikes me that, first, an interface for the blind requires the
equivalent of a sighted person's glance: Where you are now, and what
are your options. You could ask for further details on your current
location or your options, or you could choose an option, or you can
fill out a form. Maybe???

The average website with thirty gazillion links and all sorts of
extraneous verbiage, and context by color, seems like it would make a
blind person pull his/her hair out.

There's got to be a better way!

SteveT

Steve Litt
October 2015 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive