Re: ups

Author: Steve Litt
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: ups
On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 13:39:53 -0400
Michael Havens <> wrote:

> I finally broke down and bought a UPS:( I got a 650 VA for $57. The
> 550 VA was $55 so I figured it was worth the 2 extra dollars. Now I
> don't have to worry about frying my computer during one of the many
> lightening storms here in gainesville!

That's a great price!

The benefit of a UPS isn't preventing frying in a lightning storm. A
simple surge protector does a better job of that. A UPS prevents your
computer frying during a brownout or severel rapid transitions between
power and no power. It also gives you a reasonable timeframe to perform
an orderly shutdown, and in cases of > 1minute power outages, which
describes over half of our power outages here in Seminole County
Florida, you just keep computing.

Another great thing about a UPS is when your printer starts up and all
the lights dim and your ceiling fan slows down, (Brother MFC8810dw
prints suck *a lot* of current), you hear your UPS click, but otherwise
there's no sign of the undervolt. I hate to thing what would happen to
my box if I didn't have a UPS.

I wouldn't be caught dead without a UPS on my daily driver or my
whole-house pfSense router/firewall.

SteveT

Steve Litt
October 2015 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive