Re: rsync

Author: Brian Cluff
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: rsync
The --compress-level=5 option is for compressing the data over a
network. I would hope that rsync is smart enough to not actually
compress the data internally when the data is staying local to the
machine, but if it's not, telling it to compress will just eat up a
bunch of your CPU to accomplish nothing.

rsync does indeed have an exclude option that looks like:

--exclude 'string*'

If you want the data compressed but still want to use rsync on it, you
will probably need to look into using a filesystem that will
automatically compress your data. Then you can just use the same
command to backup your data and the compression will be done transparently.

Try looking into formatting your drive with something like the BTRFS
filesystem that supports transparent compression.

Brian Cluff