Re: lightening

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash
To: Michael Havens, Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: lightening

I doubt it was introduced via an actual
      piece of coax/twisted-pair (dsl) or ethernet anyways, probably
      more a surge in the power lines themselves, and some devices
      reacted more adversely than others.  Could have just been akin to
      an electromagnetic pulse being released as well, or striking a
      transformer much the same tends to wreak havoc on things not
      particularly shielded to EMI.

      Did you have some sort of surge suppression on your systems?  Mind
      you, most are likely "surge suppressor" in marketing, I doubt much
      of the cheap chinese crap they produce these days do little to
      suppress anything if actually tested, why I tend to just use a
      decent ups on gaggles of technology around my house.  Cheap enough
      to buy used (craigslist, ebay), and refurb yourself with new
      batteries if you can operate a screwdriver.

      -mb