Re: xorg: Maximum number of clients reached

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash
To: Stephen Partington, Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: xorg: Maximum number of clients reached

Biggest problem seems to be the maximum
      framebuffer resolution they seem to bake into cards - kinda why I
      asked what yours reported.  Seems fools that pay that long dollar
      for the really expensive cards don't ever actually run linux to
      post results, nor does any official docs read actual what they
      *do* support under linux.  Why would nvidia actually post real
      working linux results?

      Sadly, aforementioned 5800 AMD cards only supported with 6 DP
      ports 8192x8192 framebuffer support (great if using non-hd
      displays), which I could never figure out why wouldn't support a
      single framebuffer until the AMD guy explained it to me with some
      escalation to someone competent.  After, I found most cards won't
      support anything beyond 2-3  displays (ahem, intel) that weren't
      purpose-built for the task.

      Ubuntu at the time was a basketcase to use multiple framebuffers,
      meaning separate $DISPLAY namespaces to bind apps to, and most
      apps would simply come apart if I tried to crash the system.  Even
      carefully launching apps between displays, it seemed the
      system/apps would crash hard within a day.  Scratch.

      Long story short, multiple display framebuffers weren't an option
      due to bugs (or lack of anyone conceiving someone might attempt
      this), so it wasn't until I got a card to support a big enough
      framebuffer (amd 6xxx+) did I get any reasonable longevity to
      usage, but still highly buggy with anything actually using gl
      support.  Xinerama support has never been feasible for real use
      imho, breaking all gl support.

      I might plunge to try wayland tomorrow.  Was reading about it
      today more, seems kde and other things are building support for it
      into newer releases (kde requires 5.x or better for wayland/weston
      non-hardcoded xorg support), so might be worth an adventure.
      Worst case I'll fall back to my laptop to work while I kick/beat
      my system to work next week.

      It's gotten *that* unstable lately, it's hardly worse than
      rebooting every few days.

      -mb